Board of Directors
Diane Boettger MHS, APRN, CRNA
-Pittsburgh, PA VA Health Care System
Diane’s education began with receiving a Diploma nursing degree at Robert Packer Hospital School of Nursing in Sayre, PA. followed by a BSN from Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, PA. She graduated in 1985 as a CRNA and with a Master in Health Sciences from Medical University of South Carolina.
Diane Boettger has spent most of her anesthesia career in the private sector in group practices- in Charleston, SC and Evanston, Illinois. For 23 years she has worked in and around Pittsburgh, Pa in a variety of group practices and locums opportunities. Diane has been adjunct faculty and a Clinical Coordinator for student anesthetists from the University of Pittsburgh, as well as Clinical Coordinator for SRNA’s from Allegheny Valley Hospital School of Nurse Anesthesia. Diane came to the Pittsburgh VA as a staff CRNA in 2008 and TRULY ENJOYS caring for the unique population of veterans we serve. She has often said she falls in love with a new hero every day and feels blessed to be able to meet such heroes daily -to be able to care for them to the best of her ability and still go home smiling!
Diane has been a member of AANA for 30 years and served on numerous committees in both regional or state associations and now AVANA. She serves on The Professional Practice Committee and APRN Council at the Pittsburgh VA. She belives the networking and work of AVANA is an invaluable asset for every CRNA in the VA system. It’s a real gem and has encouraged other VA CRNA’s to join this fantastic organization as a way to have your voice heard and to learn from others experiences.
Peter Kallio DNP, CRNA, MSN, APNP
-Milwaukee, WI VA Medical Center
Peter Kallio has been a CRNA 27 years. He has been a VA CRNA at the Zablocki VAMC in Milwaukee for 12 years. He received his BSN from Marquette University; he graduated from the Milwaukee County School of Nurse Anesthesia in 1989, received his MSN from Samuel Merritt College in 2007, and received a DNP from Marquette University in 2013. He spent 10 years in the US Navy reserves as a CRNA. Last year he was appointed and currently sits on the Wisconsin Board of Nursing.
His work experience as a CRNA has included a level 1 trauma center, own LLC working for a private anesthesia group in a midsized community hospital, to presently employed at the Zablocki VA Regional Medical Center. He is currently the clinical director of the Pre-Anesthesia Clinic and is the Anesthesia Educator.
Peter is an Assistant Professor and clinical coordinator of CRNA students from Rosalind Franklin University. SRNA students from RFU rotate through the VA hospital in Milwaukee. He works with the CRNA students in both the operating room and the Pre Anesthesia clinic. He has published several research papers related to preoperative evaluation and is presently working on 2 others related to OSA and frailty.
Neil Roeper CRNA
-Tampa, FL VA Medical Center
Christian Campbell CRNA, MSN
-Tampa, FL VA Medical Center
Christian Campbell became a registered nurse in 2005, and began working for the James A. Haley Veterans Hospital in Tampa in 2007. He earned a Masters of Science in Nursing upon completion of the U.S. Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing (Class of 2010), and returned to the Tampa Veterans Hospital as a Nurse Anesthetist. Christian is also a member of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists
Director at Large
Patrick McElhone, CRNA
-Chicago, IL VA Medical Center
Central Regional Director
Janelle Parslow CRNA
-Hines, IL VA Medical Center
• Current staff CRNA at Edward Hines Jr. VAMC, Chicago, IL.
• Current AVANA member since 2013.
• Current AANA member.
• Earned BSN from Regis University, Denver, CO. (Deans list)
• Earned BS – Psychology from Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO. (Golden Key national honors society)
• Was staff ICU RN at Denver VAMC and Greater Los Angeles VAMC.
• U.S. Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing – MSN, 2007. (class leader 2006, graduated with honors).
• Preceptor for Rosalyn Franklin University.
Eastern Regional Director
-VA Health Care System
• VA Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, 2015-present: Staff Nurse Anesthetist
• Anesthesia Solutions Staffing 2016-Present: Staff Nurse Anesthetist
• Bachelor of Arts in Foreign Languages: Spanish, University of Louisiana at Monroe, Monroe, LA, 1998
• Associate of Science in Nursing: El Centro Community College, Dallas, Texas, 2006;
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing: University of Maryland at Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, 2010
• Master of Science in Nursing: University of Maryland at Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, 2014.
• Doctorate of Nursing Practice Candidate: Wilmington University, New Castle, DE, 2021
• AANA Member since 2012
• State Offices: Maryland Association of Nurse Anesthetists (MANA) President Elect 2018-2019; District Director I, 2017-2018; Treasurer/Secretary, 2015-2017; Student Representative to the Board of Directors, 2013-14.
• State Committees: MANA Education Committee Co-chair 2018-2019; Finance Committee Chair, 2016; Finance Committee 2015-present; Education Committee: 2016-2017; Education Committee Co-chair, 2015-16.
Volunteer and Leadership Activities:
• Sigma Theta Tau; Diversity in Nurse Anesthesia Mentorship Program, 2012; Diversity in Nurse Anesthesia Airway Workshop, 2012; Project Search Volunteer, 2013; Student Policy Summit Ambassador, 2011 and 2013. Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.: Vice President 2012, Treasurer and Vice President, 2014-15; Executive Director 2018; St. Johns Lodge #5 PHA Treasurer, 2017-2018
Western Regional Director
Rishelle Zhou, MSN, LLB, CRNA
-Portland, OR VA Medical Center
Rishelle earned a law degree from Shanghai University, China. Which gave her the opportunity to work for DNV-GL; an international accredited certification and classification society. In 2002, she moved to Honolulu and started her nursing education at the University of Hawaii. She completed her BSN at Oregon Health and Science University in 2008 and her master’s degree at Kaiser Permanente School of Anesthesia/California State University Fullerton in 2012. Rishelle has been a Staff CRNA and Clinical Instructor at the VA Portland Health Care System in Portland, OR, since 2014. She has a passion for providing clinical expertise and delivering safe anesthesia care to our veterans.
Southern Regional Director
Melanie Clemens, CRNA
Garrett Peterson DNP, RN, CRNA
-Minneapolis, MN VA Health Care System
Garrett Peterson, DNP, RN, CRNA is a Staff Nurse Anesthetist at the Minneapolis VA Health Care System. He has been with the VA for 21 years. Dr. Peterson is a graduate of the former Nurse Anesthesia Program at the Minneapolis VA Medical Center/University of Minnesota. He is the previous Associate Director of the Nurse Anesthesia Program at the University of Minnesota – School of Nursing and currently precepts nurse anesthesia students in the clinical area and currently serves as the Minneapolis Anesthesia Department Education Coordinator.
Dr. Peterson received his Master’s of Science and Doctor in Nursing Practice from the University of Minnesota. He has authored a chapter on the Practice of Nurse Anesthesia in a Doctor of Nursing Practice textbook and contributed to a Case Study in Nurse Anesthesia textbook.
Dr. Peterson has served in leadership positions on both state and national levels: AVANA Central Regional Director 2009-2011; AVANA Educational Program Committee 2009-2012; AVANA Director-at-Large 2011-2013; AVANA President-Elect 2013-2015; Minnesota Association of Nurse Anesthetists Program Committee 2009-current; Minnesota Association of Nurse Anesthetists Treasurer-Elect 2011-2012; Minnesota Association of Nurse Anesthetists Treasurer 2012-2013; Minnesota Association of Nurse Anesthetists Vice President 2013-2014; Minnesota Association of Nurse Anesthetists Nominating Committee 2015-2016, American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Education Committee 2009-2011; National Board of Certification and Recertification: Continued Professional Practice-Sub-committee for the recertification exam 2012-2014, NBCRNA Continued Professional Practice Exam Writing Committee 2016-current.
Garrett is also a committee member of the Department of Veterans Affairs – Office of Nursing Service APRN Field Advisory Committee 2014-current
Garrett’s interests in anesthesia include PTSD and the veteran population, emergence delirium, and multimodal pain control.
Garrett believes in providing high-quality, evidence based anesthesia care to the Veteran population.